to the D.W.D. Library Media Center
- Mission Statement
The Library Media Center (LMC) program supports the mission, goals, objectives and continuous improvement of D. W. Daniel High School. The mission of the LMC program "to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information" is a key to achieving the school's mission to foster student learning.
The LMC exists to support the students and faculty in the implementation of instructional goals and as a source of leisure reading and research materials. The LMC should provide a variety of media to contribute to personal growth while fostering qualities necessary for responsible citizenship. The sources should inform, motivate, stimulate and entertain users. Students will read for many reasons and should develop discrimination in the selection of all print and online media.
Students need to acquire personal confidence by independently locating and using different types of media to develop good work habits leading to a pattern of lifelong learning. Since each student is a unique individual with capabilities and limitations, the media specialist in cooperation with the faculty should accept the students and strive to use every resource to help the students develop fully - mentally, physically, emotionally, and socially.
For the LMC to achieve its purposes, it must be inviting, informal and flexible. The LMC staff play decisive roles in the creation of this climate. The media specialist encourages the use of the LMC by individuals, small groups and entire classes. Advance planning with faculty members promotes efficient use of the facilities and good research habits throughout the school.
The LMC staff strive to expand and diversify their services to accommodate new media, innovations in teaching methods and the multiple online resources available. The media specialist will attempt to provide a collection that is professionally selective and appropriate for the needs and interests of the students.
- Goals and Objectives
1. To provide resources that will help to expand the students' research experiences, meet their needs for recreational reading, and increase their literary appreciation and reading standards.
2. To encourage the use of the media resources by all students and faculty throughout the school day and at home.
3. To teach appropriate skills so that the students will become self-motivated, independent and discriminating users of various resources.
4. To involve the faculty in the selection of resources which will enrich the curriculum content.
5. To organize the LMC so as to provide prompt and accurate service.
6. To create a pleasant, attractive and inviting atmosphere which will stimulate learning through research, study, reading and appropriate behavior.
7. To be open to change, to keep abreast of current trends in school media philosophy and practices.
8. To encourage the use of the community library to supplement the resources of the LMC.
report to parents